Sunday, June 25, 2017

A Jesus Thing



1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not acomprehend it.
John 1: 1 - 5 NKJV

I remember talking to more than a few people christian and non christion alike when the topic of our Lords provision and blessings would eventually come up.  I've talked with people who have believed everything from expecting blessings from God to having to be on their very best behavior in order to receive blessings from God.  However, in the end, when either their expectations were shattered or they felt that they were not behaving "good" enough, many would end up questioning why God would not provide what they had asked Him for.  A perfect example of this is the "name it and claim it" craze which swept through more than a few churches not so long ago.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I was once swept up in this phenomenon of my heavenly Fathers showerings of blessings.  Yes, I also shared in that dissapointment in God when my expectations were not met.  I'm not too afraid to admit that I fell into this trap.  However, I also rejoice in knowing that the truth of Christ has been revealed to me.  I truly believe that when we fall into the name it and claim it montra that we're missing the true point of who Jesus truly is.  In fact, Christ is not simply our savior who sits in heaven watching over us, seperated from Gods children.  Jesus is not simply to be called upon in our times of distress and need.  However, I would rather trust none other than Jesus with everything which is dear to me.  John, the "Apostle Jesus loved" tells us in John 1 that it is Christ Himself who has been there from the very begining.  Without Christ, nothing was made that was made {John 1:3}.

13Then one from the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” 14But He said to him, “Man, who made Me a judge or an arbitrator over you?” 15And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of ccovetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.”
Luke 12: 13 - 15 NKJV

One conversation in particular which I remember was with a coworker more than a few years ago.  As we talked, he related to me how he had gotten a pretty sweet deal on a cord of wood for his wood stove.  However, it's what he said next which interested me at the time.  Without missing a beat, he attributed his fortune as "A total God thing."  Don't get me wrong, I believe that our heavenly Father was indeed involved in this blessing of his, even if he didn't see it as a blessing.  It's a God thing.  I've heard that phrase all too often from those who would simply lay in waiting for Gods next blessing upon their lives.  I would suggest another approach to this topic.  For instead of trying to convince ourselves that each and every blessing is a God thing, let's simply call it what it is....it's a Jesus thing.  Remember that through Christ all things were made {John 1:3}.  We also do well to remember the lie that we are indeed seperated from our heavenly Father.  For God is not simply watching down on us from heaven above.  No, Christ Jesus is a part of our everyday life.  All that we shall ever see or experience...is a Jesus thing.  For those to whom it has been revealed, we know that we live each and every day as Christ Jesus {Galations 2:20}.  Indeed, all that we see, feel, touch and hear on a daily basis we do as Christ.  For Christ had a hand in all that we are.  Everything that we are...is a Jesus thing.

8“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9“Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10“Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11“If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!"
Matthew 7: 8 - 11 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: