Saturday, June 17, 2017

The Freedom We Find In Jesus

June 12, 1987
"Mister Gorbachev...TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!"


32“And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” 33They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?” 34Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35“And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36“Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
John 8: 32 - 36 NKJV

It's something I noticed the past few weeks in my daily routine, something was missing.  Somehow I didn't feel the need to suddenly repent when I heard some radio pulpit pounder talk of indwelling sin.  For the first time, I didn't feel guilty when they said I needed to pray for Gods forgiveness for some sin I may have committed.  I could say that it was like a light switch being turned on, but that would be a bad comparison I think.  See, I already knew that I was free, I just didn't practice it.  I didn't live in that house of sin any longer.  Christ had died to set me free of that part of my life.  A friend of mine once made the comment that we are either slaves unto sin or slaves unto righteousness.  Either way, we are in bondage.  But are we indeed in bondage if we have been set free?  Jesus tells us in John 8 that we shall know the truth, and that this truth shall set us free.  Could it be that I hadn't really known that truth until now?  Sure, I knew that Jesus bled and died that my sins would be forgiven, but everyone knows that truth right?  I mean, it's one of the focal points of the new testament, the new covenent.  As Christ tells us, whoever commits sin is indeed a slave of sin.  So, if Jesus Himself became sin on my behalf that my sins might be forgiven {2 Corinthians 5:21}, am I indeed still a slave to sin?  Is a slave who has been set free still a slave?  NO!  So it is that I have found freedom in Christ Jesus.

1There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
Romans 8: 1 - 5 NKJV

Of course, I do not speak simply for myself, but for all who have found this very same freedom which I myself have discovered.  I'm not alone in this discovery, I've talked with more than a few people who have discovered that freedom which we find in Jesus.  However, only I can speak of the testimony which tells of what I have discovered in my own life.  I've heard the testamonies of others, but mine is unique to me alone.  I guess the besy way that I could describe it would be to compare it to being falsely imprisoned and then being suddenly set free.  As I've never physically known slavery, I cannot compare my new found freedom to being in bondage.  Make no mistake, however, I was indeed a slave.  I was born into the bondage of sin, looking forward to the day when I would be set free from my chains.  The truth is, Christ Jesus had broken those chains from me so long ago.  It took me awhile, but the truth finally set me free.  The apostle Paul tells us that we are indeed sons, heirs of He who sits on the throne {Romans 8:14}.  As Jesus tells us, a son abides forever {John 8:35}.  The fact that Jesus freed me from my sins is but one part of His truth.  Not only are my sins forgiven, but I am free to now live my life as Christ {Galations 2:20}.  Freedom is a good thing.

14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” 16The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.
Romans 8: 14 - 17 NKJV

~Scott~


No comments: