Monday, June 12, 2017

The Devils Reach



15For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
Romans 7: 15 - 20 NKJV

There was a fad not so long ago among christians, perhaps non christians as well.  The "What would Jesus do?" fad was once all the rage in christian circles.  I'm guessing that the purpose of these t shirts, wrist bands and posters was to make one stop and consider their actions before they engaged in bad behavior of some sort.  Now, I can agree with this to some extent, in that we should always consider the effect our words and actions will have on those around us.  The apostle James had some pretty harsh words when it came to the human tongue and the words we speak unto others.  He went so far as to say that the tongue defiles the entire body {James 3:6}.  Who could argue this point?  For our words have caused arguments, started wars and torn families apart.  In the end, as the singer Elton John pointed out, "Sorry seems to be the hardest word."   The main issue which I had with the what would Jesus do craze was that it encouraged us to a unattainable standard.  Not that we cannot be like Jesus, for we live as Him each day {Galations 2:20}.  No, I'm talking about that belief that we ourselves could be perfect, sinless and without a sin nature.  Can we indeed compare ourselves to Christ in behavior?  Can we be as He who had no sin {1 Peter 2:22}?  Well, since we are told that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God {Romans 3:23}, I'd say no.  So, in that regard, can we be as Jesus was?  Again, I'd say no.  Yet, we're told that to be like Jesus is that standard which we must strive for in our daily lives.  To be like Jesus is to be tempted in all things yet without sin {Hebrews 4:15}.  To be like Jesus is to resist temptations when they come {James 1:13}.  So much for being like Jesus huh?  Instead of using Jesus as the bar for which we should model our behavior, we should simply see Him as He truly is in us.

17“Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated? 18“But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. 19“For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. 20“These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.”
Matthew 15: 17 - 20 NKJV

I've often found comfort in the words of the apostle Paul and the struggles which he had with his own behaviors.  As Paul tells us in a moment of reflection in Romans 7 that "How to perform what is good I do not find."  See, Paul got it, he understood that despite his attempts, his flesh would continue to lead him astray.  Now, Paul was indeed a righteous man who spoke and defended the gospel of Christ at every turn.  Could I see Paul sporting a "What would Jesus do?" bracelet?  NO!  However, I could very well see him with a t shirt which would read "What are you doing in me, Lord?"  Paul understood that his actions and behaviors would always fall short of that high standard of Christ Jesus.  More than that, he understood that it was not he himself who was eternally bad, but that sin which was within his flesh.  The fact that Jesus Himself became sin on our behalf frees us from these chains of bondage {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  In his rendition of Amazing Grace, Chris Tomlin proclaims "My chains are gone, I've been set free.  My God my savior has ransomed me."  The question now is not what would Jesus do?  The question is what is Jesus doing in me?

6knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6: 6-11 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: