Wednesday, June 21, 2017

A Reason For Hope



13And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good? 14But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. “And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.” 15But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; 16having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. 17For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
1 Peter 3: 13 - 17 NKJV

I really didn't think that there was anything special about me, but obviously someone saw it.  While at work one day one of my coworkers had asked me if I had been listening to some self improvement sessions.  Surprised by this, I asked him why he would suggest such a thing.  His response surprised me, but I guess it really shouldn't have thinking back on it.  "Well, there's something different about you" he exclaimed.  Now, this dude was only slightly aware of my christian beliefs, as at the time I had chosen not to wear my faith on my sleeve at work.  Yes, there were those who knew of my beliefs, but I did not proclaim it loudly and proudly as some do.  Not wanting to seem rude, I said the first thing that came to mind, "By the grace of God."  Honestly, I was surprised that I even blurted that out, even though this is what we are called to do when others inquire of our hope in Christ.  The apostle Peter tells us in 1 Peter 3 that we should be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks.  I wasn't ready that day.  Normally I was not at all comfortable talking to others about Christ Jesus and what He has meant to me.  Now, I can definately put words to print, but to talk to someone on just why I believe, that wasn't my thing.  I say wasn't, because up until recently I have found it within myself to speak to others of just why I trust in Christ Jesus.  It's not rocket science, really, I trust, believe and love Jesus because He first loved me {1 John 4:19}.  He is the reason for my hope.

16For I am not ashamed of the gospel cof Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”
Romans 1: 16-17 NKJV

It's called apologetics in christian circles, and it's not what you would think.  For instead of making apologies for our faith as the name suggests, we are to provide solid and sound reasoning as to why we believe.  We get our word apologetics from the Greek word "Apologia" which is translated to "A reasoned defense."  Think of an attorney in court arguing his clients case.  He is definately giving a reasoned defense on his behalf.  If he wasn't he wouldn't be doing his job.  That attorney is there to provide a Apologia for his client.  So it is that when others question just why it is we believe in Christ, we are to give them a reasoned defense as to why it is that we have placed our hopes in Jesus.  What is the reason for this hope which is in us?  Is it the love of Jesus which lifted us even when we were still sinners {Romans 5:8}?  Ultimately, it comes down to the deeply personal answer from one who trusts and believes in Jesus.  The reason for my hope in Jesus may be different from someone elses.  Yet each one will give a reasoned defense for their own trust in Christ.  One may speak of salvation while another glories in the Love of Christ.  For it is Jesus who is the reason for our hope.

14“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15“Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5: 14-16 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: