Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Uprising!

~Let It Rise!~

13Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.
James 5: 13 - 15 NKJV

There was a man named Bruce who I recall from my times at the last church I attended.  I've written about Bruce before briefly, but I once again felt led to include him in the words which I write.  As I write this post I am listening to the Maranatha Promise Keepers rendition of Let It Rise!  Now, few can understand just how it is that I can write while listening to music, but it's what I do.  Anyway, this song by the Maranatha band fits in very well with what I am writing that I just had to mention it.  So, back to Bruce and just why my memories of him have once again inspired me to write.  See, I recall many a Sunday where I would be in service and there would be Bruce dancing in the rear of the aisle and singing praises along with whatever song the worship band was playing.  To be sure, ol' Bruce got more than a few confused looks from those whose traditional sanctity of church worship was somehow being confronted by this man dancing in the aisle among us.  Of course, it didn't matter to Bruce, for he was simply praising his Lord with reverence.  To be sure, I also saw more than a few others who simply stood and sang along silently as they always did, but not Bruce!  Was he wrong for worshipping his Lord as he did?  Absolutely not.  On the contrary, I believe that he simply had more of a desire to sing his praises to God.  As the words of Let It Rise attest to our worship..."Let the songs of the Lord RISE among us!"  As James tells us, is anyone cheerful?  Let him sing psalms.  I'm guessing that Bruce was definately cheerful in his praises.

13And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. 16So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
Colossions 2: 13 - 17 NKJV

I mentioned that others in church certainly for whatever reason didn't approve of the way Bruce went about his worship.  However, I say more power to him.  Is there indeed a "Proper" way to worship or to sing praises to our Lord?  Definately not.  However, many may certainly cast a wary eye upon those who seem to worship out of the box of normal praise and worship services.  Now, I can honestly say that in all of my years of attending church that I have never seen someone tear their clothing off in the middle of a church service and beat their chests as they praised and worshipped God.  Yet, we are reminded in scripture that this was indeed a common method of worshipping God in days gone by.  Apparently we've now become much too civilized to show our adoration for God in such a way.  At least that is the common thought among church goers these days.  We sit obediently, only rising to sing in praise once we are told to do so.  Sorry, but this all seems to orchestrated for me.  Obviously Bruce felt the same way.  For me, I see this as a matter of personal preference.  For if we are suffering, let us pray.  If we are cheerful...let us sing psalms of praise!  How great of an uprising would this be?  Let the songs of the Lord rise among us!

~Scott~

No comments: