Friday, June 16, 2017

Spirit Happenings

Who you gonna call?


9But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
Romans 8: 9 - 11 NKJV

For some time now I have been a fan of books, movies and television shows on the paranormal.  That is, I seem to be a believer in the existence of ghosts and spirits.  Whenever there is a TV show on ghostly happenings, I'm pretty much glued to the television.  I just find this subject to be fascinating, which is pretty crazy for someone who used to fear the slightest bump in the night while growing up.  I'm not kidding, it was not uncommon for me to sleep at night with two or three nightlights AND my little portable radio playing.  Eventually, however, I overcame this fear of the dark only to become fascinated with what might be hiding in the shadows.  Now, there have been plenty of documented instances of paranormal happenings the world over for hundreds of years.  In fact, we're told in scripture that God used dreams to communicate with His children back in the day.  So, I for one give full credence to claims of others who have had such experiences.  Now, I'm sure I'll get more than my share of pushback from one pulpit pounder or another, but I believe what I believe.  It's not like I believe in UFO's or little green men, but I believe that my beliefs have some credence.  Finding someone who has experienced such events may seem pretty difficult, as one certainly would not wish to be seen as someone prone to seeing visions or ghosts.  As I mentioned, I believe that my interest has some credence as far as our true identity goes.  Yes, this may seem like a head scratcher to some, but I'll indeed explain my position.

27So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
Genesis 1: 27 - 28 NKJV

We are told in Genesis that we were indeed created in our heavenly Fathers own image.  In fact, much credence is given to this revelation in scripture.  We're told that our heavenly Father and Christ Jesus are part of the Trinity of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  In His great commision, Christ tells us to go and make disciples (followers) of all the nations and baptising them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit {Matthew 28:19}.  In fact, the word trinity is roughly translated as "tri - unity" of "Three-in-oneness."  Jesus tells His followers in John 14 that He would pray that the Father would send unto them another Helper (notice that  the word Helper is capitalized here).  For the longest time I fully believed that my heavenly Father resembled myself...or my human self.  After all, wasn't I created in His image?  Wouldn't He then look like me?  It's at this point where I got tripped up along the way.  My belief was that my physical image was indeed the image of God.  However, the apostle Paul tells us in Romans 8 that we are not in the flesh but in the Spirit.  Our true identity is not of flesh and blood, but something unseen.  Our true identity is that of our spirit identity.  It is in this way that we were created in Gods image.  As God is in Spirit nature, so it is that we are as well.  Who is Christ?  We're told that Jesus is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation {Colossions 1:15}.  So, if we ourselves are created in our Lords Spirit image, which is our true identity, then it's not surprising at all that we would have a connection with the spirit world.  In fact, are not our experiences with the paranormal simply interactions with other spirits as we are spirit in identity?  I believe this to be true, and that this flesh we inhabit is simply a vessel whithin which the Spirit of Christ dwells {Galations 2:20}.  It's no wonder I find the paranormal so interesting.

16“And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17“the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18“I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
John 14: 16 - 18 NKJV

~Scott~


No comments: