Friday, June 9, 2017

The Reason For Hope



24For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance. 26Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession gfor us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. 28And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Romans 8: 24 - 28 NKJV

I ran across this weeks podcast from Wayne Jacobsens The God Journey with some familiarity.  This weeks topic centered around our own hope and faith in the face of our lifes desperate circumstances.  I can definately say that I have a dog in the fight when talking on this topic, as do many of us as well.  One part of the opening that interested me was how Wayne and Brad "wrestled" with their own experiences and just where faith comes into play when we deal with illness or other difficulties.  Do we trust that God will do what He claims, or do we simply just deal with these circumstances at hand?  What if God does not remove us from our circumstances, have we placed our faith in vain?  During my mothers illness, I got caught on the belief that the more I prayed for her healing, the better chance that God would grant that request.  If I happened to miss a day of prayer for her well being, then the guilt and shame which I felt as a result was at times overwhelming.  It's here wher I think that we go astray in our faith.  While I believe that we do no harm when lifting our own prayers on the behalf of others, that whole dynamic changes the moment when we feel that God has not delivered us from our circumstances.  We can pray over our own circumstances, but is this indeed a guarantee that God will act on our behalf?  If he doesn't, have we placed our faith in vain when we could have been dealing with the circumstance ourselves?  I believe that our first error comes when we see God as a far distant deliverer instead of our indwelling Lord.  Seeing God as removed from His children is a false belief.  God does not pick and choose just who or where He will shower his grace and love.  He loves us unconditionaly and desires His best for us {Jeremiah 29:11}.  So, what happens when we don't see God acting in our circumstances the way we feel that He should be?  Has He suddenly lost interest in us?  Definately not, but I can certainly see how some would feel that way.  I know I did.  So what changed?  What changed was how I myself saw God in my life.

3And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces bperseverance; 4and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
Romans 5: 3 - 5 NKJV

I mentioned my own circumstances where I prayed for Gods healing of my mothers illness.  However, despite my efforts and prayers, my mother eventually passed away into her Lords eternity.  Is this a example that God had no desire at all to honor my request?  Absolutely not!  Were my prayers wasted?  My personal communication with my heavenly Father is NEVER in vain.  Furthermore, whatever the life circumstances that I am going through, God has not changed.  That is, He is still where He desires to be, living through me {Galations 2:20}.  It is for this very reason that Christ Jesus became sin on our behalf, to restore what was once lost at the fall {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  I would dare to say that in those life circumstances where we feel we need Him the most, it is we ourselves who have changed and not our heavenly Father.  For Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever {Hebrews 13:8}.  So, what is it that God desires when the storms of life come upon us?  Well, instead of sweating it out and stressing about what we are going through, I believe that He desires for our focus to be not so much on our circumstances...but on He who breathed the breath of life into His creation {Genesis 2:7}.  We may just see that as we do this that we can certainly glory in our own tribulations as our focus is on Him.

25“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26“Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27“Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
Matthew 6: 25 - 27 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: