Wednesday, June 14, 2017

All Are Welcome



26For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Galations 3: 26 - 29 NKJV

I had a few friends in college who had the opportunity to be in a fraternity during their college years.  This was indeed a pretty selctive group.  As many may know, fraternities and sororities are inclusive only to those members who they deem fit to allow into their clique.  That doesn't mean that I could not associate with my friends, it's just that they had their own private circle of associates as well.  This was a circle I could not enter, for I was not a member per se.  There were indeed benefits to that fraternity lifestyle, beer, parties and girls, all which I wasn't obliged to partake of.  Lucky me.  Later on I would learn that perhaps it wasn't such a bad thing that I didn't get to be involved in this part of college life.  In some ways, I have heard it said that christianity is somewhat like a exclusive club, with it's members chosen and groomed Sunday by Sunday to partake of the offered cup of Christ.  Well, I'm here to tell you that we believers, we followers of Jesus are far from a exclusive membership.  Walk into almost any congregation on any given Sunday morning and you are sure to find people from all walks of life.  From carpenters to board room giants, our heavenly Father does not discriminate when it comes to whom He blesses His love and grace upon.  For we know that God Himself is love {1 John 4:8}, and that with Him there is no partiality {Romans 2:11}.  In fact, Christ Jesus is the same today as He was yesterday {Hebrews 13:8}.  There is no hazing, no dues and no entrance examination we must partake of in order to spend eternity with our heavenly Father.  All are welcome.

16“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17“For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
John 3: 16 - 17 NKJV

One of the very first scriptures I can remember memorizing was John 3:16.  This was only due to the guy at Minnesota Viking home games who would hold up a sign with this scripture written upon it whenever the camera would pan by him.  Of course, my mother was kind enough to explain the meaning of the verse to me.  Since then, this scripture has been widely used at everything from political rallies to sporting events.  God so loved the world, I get it.  However, far too many people seem to leave verse 17 out of the equation.  Yes, God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, but why did He do it?  He did it...that the world THROUGH HIM might be saved.  God did not select only a few people whom He deemed fit enough to join Him in His eternity.  No, Gods ultimate desire is that ALL would come to know Christ Jesus and be saved.  This is neither a Jesus fraternity nor a God club.  This...is your future.  We are faced with but two choices, to accept Jesus and the gift He has given us or not.  We are told that all have sinned {Romans 3:23}.  However, we are also told that Jesus Himself became sin on our behalf that we might be saved {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  Christ took the punishment meant for us upon Himself that we, Gods children, would be white as snow.  How many people do you know who would give themselves for others?  Not just one or two others, but all who come to know Him.  To those who knock, all are welcome.

20“Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21“To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
Revelation 3: 20 - 21 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: