Sunday, November 8, 2015

A Little Known Truth

"At that day you will know that I am in my father, and you in Me, and I in you"
John 14: 20 NKJV

I recently had a Sunday conversation with my good friends Dennis, David and Mr. Fundak.  It wasn't just a good chance to catch up, but to elaborate on a few topics as well.  One of the things we discussed was the subject of our Lord Jesus dwelling in us.  I have to admit, this has been a tough truth to wrap my thoughts around lately.  You'll notice that I said "Truth."  Looking at John 14:20 we can see that Jesus clearly establishes that he is in us.  So, why is this such a hard thought for most of us to process?  Well, as I mentioned, it's been extremely difficult for me to come to grips with just why Jesus would want to be a part of me.  I mean, I'm imperfect, a sinner and sin has no place with God, right?  Right.  However, the whole point of Jesus' march to that cross was to eradicate the sin that plagues us.  Christ bore the sin load of the entire sinful world once and for all!  Yet, it's easier for us to accept that fact than the truth that he dwells in us today.

To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
Colossians 1:27 NKJV

It seems I wasn't the only one who had trouble realizing this truth.  I'm inclined to believe that Jesus didn't die on that cross simply to fade from our memory.  No, his intention all along must have been to be one with his creation.  John 14:20 clearly lays that out for us.
I guess I shouldn't feel so bad, as Colossians 1:27 refers to the "mystery among the gentiles."  That's us my freinds, you and me.  Once again the old question pops up, why is it so difficult for us to realize this biblical truth?  I'm not one to take anything Jesus claimed as a lie, so it must be true.  Obviously, then, the disconnect must be with us.

Then, as they were afraid and bowed their faces to the earth, they said to them, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?"
Luke 24:5 NKJV

Luke 24:5 is one of my favorite verses on the risen Lord Jesus.  Those who came to Jesus' tomb that morning were obviously expecting a lifeless body.  What they got was a reminder of what Jesus himself had reminded them of in life.  Despite Jesus' warnings that he would be delivered unto sinful men and ultimately put to death only to rise again, it seems his warnings were unheeded even to those closest to him.  We're not the only ones who had trouble believing.  Thankfully, his forgiveness and grace are truly sufficient for us.  That, my friends, is the truth.

No comments: