Sunday, November 22, 2015

Men Of Character

For do I now persuade men, or God?  Or do I seek to please men?  For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.
Galations 1:10 NKJV

There's been much discussion over the years of what makes a man.  Countless books, videos and studies have been introduced in order to somehow once again show our society what a real man is all about.  So, what makes a man?  I'll take that one step further, what is it that makes a GODLY man?  I'm sure there are plenty of men out there who profess to be followers of Jesus, but are they Godly men?  What is it that distinguishes them as men of God?  Are there certain behaviors that we view as "character" traits?  Well, if we look at a simple definition of the word, we come with something interesting.

Character ~ The mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual.

Does this definition define a Godly man?  Maybe, but again maybe not.  What are the moral qualities found in a Godly man?  Fortunately, we have Gods word to guide us in this area.

And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope.  Now hope does not disapoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the holy spirit who was given to  us.
Romans 5: 3-5 NKJV

So, is it our trials and tribulations that produce our Godly character?  I believe so, but I also think it's how we RESPOND to these troubling times that produces Godly character in us.  Usualy, I'm the master of worrying about whatever trial I'm going through, but I also know that I'm  not at all alone in this area.  No, we all have these times we deal with.  How do we respond to them?  The bible clearly says that as we go through tribulation we produce character.  So, show me a man of character and I'll show you a man who's been through his own share of struggles.
One thinng I've come to realize is that we need not develop Gods character in us, it's already there!  Jesus dwells within us, so the characteristics of our risen Lord already exist within us.  If you ask me, that beats ANY book or video.

~Scott~

No comments: