Sunday, November 29, 2015

The View From The Cross

And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, he said, "Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit.'  Having said this, he breathed his last.  So when the centurion saw what had happened, he glorified God, saying, "Certainly this was a righteous man!" Luke 23: 46-47 NKJV 

I've often wondered what were Jesus' thoughts as he hung on that cross.  Did he think of me?  He was certainly there because of me, bearing the punishment for my sins.  Were his thoughts of his father in heaven?  From the scriptures we know that he spoke to his father as he was crucified.  I am convinced that Jesus knew from an early age just what his destiny here on earth was.  Still, for me, he walked each day closer to the cross.  It's important for us to realize just what Jesus was feeling not only as he walked to the cross, but in the days and weeks beforehand.  Thanks to scripture, we have a good idea of just what Jesus was feeling.  We cannot imagine the physical torment that Christ endured at the hands of the Romans, but we know from our own history that the Roman practice of crucifiction was a brutal process.  
Jesus knew his fate, he predicted it to his disciples beforehand.  

Now Jesus, going up to Jerusalem, took the twelve disciples aside on the road and said to them, "Behold, we are going to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and to the scribes; and they will condem Him to death, and deliver Him to the gentiles to mock and to scourge and to crucify.  And the third day he will rise again."
Matthew 20: 17-19 NKJV 

Knowing this, he still walked his path to the cross.  How many people do you know that would bear this burden for someone else?  As he walked closer to the cross, we knnow that his thoughts were on his ultimate destination, but he knew his purpose as he prayed.  

"I have glorified you on the earth.  I have finished the work which you have given me to do."
John 17:4 NKJV 

What was Jesus thinking as he died on that cross?  He was thinking of you.  He was thinking of me.  Jesus knew that, without his selfless offering, there would be no redemption for Gods children.  For we were the reason that he walked the path he did.  The pain he suffered, the blood that he shed was all done with us in mind.  No greater love has ever been known.

~Scott~ 

No comments: