Saturday, November 21, 2015

Slow Rarely Means No

But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.  The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
2 Peter 3: 8-9 NKJV

Is it just me, or does it seem like God doesn't answer my prayers quick enough?  I think we've all asked that question at one time or another.  Trust me, I've been through my share of times when a quick answer from my Lord was needed.  I'm not saying that he never answers in a timely manner, sometimes he is quick to let his will be known.  I think this is the key to understanding our Lords response to any situation, what is his will that he trying to accomplish in me?  Of course, God can accomplish his will through us, or someone/something else for our benefit.  Knowing that our Lord always has our best interests at heart as he guides us through life can be a comforting thought.  Through a lifetime of some bad decisions, I've come to realize that God has a better direction for my life than I ever will.  Some things I thought were good for me, only hurt me in the end.
2 Peter 3: 8-9 the Apostle Peter gives us a look into Gods decision making process.  Peter, the young man who Jesus called "the Rock."

Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."  Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my father who is iin heaven.  And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it."
Matthew 16: 16-18 NKJV

Those are some powerful, uplifting words that Jesus said to his young disciple.  Obviously, Peter got it, he understood the deity of his teacher.  Of course, young Peter was not without his own faults.  We see that in his denial of Jesus on the eve of his trial.  Of course, Jesus ultimately redeemed the young man.  I bring this up to illustrate that the author of 2 Peter 3 knew a little something about how God works from his own life experiences.
Whatever it is that we are encountering, we do well to recall 2 Peter 3: 8-9 for a look into how our Lord is working WITHIN us.  We may naively think that God has turned his back on us until we tow that line, but nothing could be farther from the truth.  When it comes to loving his children, our Lords love is infinate.  Gods timing, ultimately, is the best timing.

~Scott~

No comments: