Saturday, November 7, 2015

Dating Game

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek his own, it is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  
1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 NKJV 

I couldn't believe the last time I checked my Kindle store just how many self help dating books are out there on the market.  Obviously, there is a huge market for materials on attracting the perfect mate.  Even christian authors have gotten into this market.  However, I should make the observation that dating today is nothing like it used to be.  Yeah, there's still people out there who still believe in dating to meet a future mate, but it is increasingly being used today as  a way for one of the participants to fill whatever needs they have.  Whether it's financial, emotional or sexual, dating someone seems to be a good way to find someone to take care of whatever needs we have, at least that has been my observation.  I guess, being single, that I have a unique perspective on this subject.
I really wouldn't be too surprised if both sexes have become a bit shell shocked these days from the dating process in our modern society.  We have swung into some brand new territory over the past few decades.  We now have internet dating (thanks Al Gore), chat room dating and numerous websites designed to find our "Perfect someone."  Oh, I didn't mention the pressure put on single people by society to find a mate, but I guess that's been there for awhile.  
If our intentions are to seek a mate, then I believe we have some good advice in 1 Corinthians 13.  I don't believe that the definition of love has changed over time, just our interpretation of it.  These days, it seems that love somehow means sex.  Funny, I don't see that in 1 Corinthians 13.  What I do see is a true definition of what love truly is.  Many relationships these days start out in total contradiction to what love really is.  When we enter into a relationship simply to get our needs met, that's not love, that's us being selfish.  It's not hard to see that a relationship takes two people, not just someone just in it for themselves.  I would guess that such a relationship would be doomed to fail.  Don't believe, just ask my parents.  I've also had more than a few people I know who have suffered through a divorce.  Funny, I haven't seen too many self help divorce books.  I guess there's no market for that.  
I recently asked my friend Dennis for advice over a young lady I was interested in.  His response threw me back a bit.  "What can you do FOR  her?"  I know in my heart that he's right, but I'm still looking for the answer to that question.

~Scott~ 

No comments: