Thursday, November 5, 2015

My Brothers Servant

'For I was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you took me in; I was naked and you clothed me; I was sick and you visited me; I was in prison and you came to me.'  "Then the righteous will answer him saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?  When did we see you a stranger and take you in, or naked and clothe you?  Or when did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?'  And the king will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to Me.'
Matthew 25: 35-40 NKJV

Charity has become a pretty big business in this country.  Everywhere you look there is a organization dedicated to helping someone in need.  However, despite all these charitable organizations, there are still plenty of people in need of help.  Don't worry, for Jesus proclaimed that the poor will always be with us.  So, there will always be a need to help someone less fortunate than ourselves.  We may ourselves be in a position of need at some point.  Who will be there for us if we are?
In Matthew 25, Jesus gives a wonderful illustration not only of charity as we know it, but of serving others.  Contrary to what more than a few of us believe, this world does not revolve around ourselves.  There are more than a few places in scripture that encourage us to serve others around us.

So when he had wshed their feet, taken his garments, and sat down again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done for you?  You call me teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am.  "If I then, your Lord and teacher, have ashed your feet, you also ought to wash one anothers feet.  "For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.  "Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.
John 13: 12-16 NKJV

An example for us to follow?  Ok, but not those people we don't get along with, right?  Non christians too?  Hey, wait, did Jesus really mean this example for everyone to follow?  Well, I believe so, or he wouldn't have mentioned it.  See, Jesus was pretty big on showing the love and mercy of his Heavenly Father.  Now, he was instructing his disciples to do the same.  The truth is, our Lord Jesus resides in us, so we have the opportunity to show his love and mercy through our interactions with others.  This is better than any charity.  Imagine tthose around us helping and serving their neighbors with no agendas attached.  That, is a true servant heart.  I am not my brothers keeper, but his servant.

~Scott~

No comments: