Friday, November 6, 2015

Footprints In The Sand

One night I dreamed a dream
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand
One belonging to me and one to my Lord

After the last scene of mmy life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life
especially at the very lowest and saddest times
There was only one set of footprints

This really troubled me, so I asked my Lord about it
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
There was only one set of footprints
I don't understand why, when I needed you the most, you would leave me"

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you"
~Poem by Mary Stevenson~ 

I've always enjoyed this poem as a example of Christs love for his own.  Not only that, but also of our blindness to his loving presence.  Indeed, Jesus has promised to never leave us, even when those storms of life come knocking on our door.  There have been many times in my life, when faced with trials, that the first thing I would do was ask why, Lord?  Maybe instead of asking why Me?  I should have asked, why not me?  Another thing I've noticed was that, whenever these trials would come, this is when my walk with my Lord grew.  There was that knock on the door, ok, time for me to pay attention to God now.  Sadly, when the storm has passed, I was back to doing things my own way once again.  This usually meant that God was once again on the back burner, ready to be called upon again when things got tough.  Anyone see something wrong there?  I don't know too many parents who would tolerate such insubordination in a child.  However, as we all know, our God doesn't operate the way we do.  Thank goodness for that blessing.  God is very patient, and I feel he needs to be with his earthly children.

And you have forgotten the exortation which speaks to you as to sons:  "My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by him; For whom the Lord loves he chastens, and scourges every son whom he receives."
Hebrews 12: 5-6 NKJV 
 
I hope that everyone caught the "My son" quote that the author installed here.  We are not refered to as sinners or bad children, but as sons whom our Lord loves.  We can all take comfort in that.  Whenever the trials of life hit us like a flood, and we can rest assured that they will come.  We can be just as confident that, even when it seems that Jesus is far off, those foootprints we see in the sand are his as he carries us through the storm.

~Scott~  

No comments: