Saturday, November 28, 2015

Despicable Me?

For I know that in me (That is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.  For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.
Romans 7: 18-19 NKJV

It's a vicious cycle we're all on.  We start out feeling as if we're in Gods good graces then, eventually, fall into the trap of sin once again.  So what happened there?  Did Gods good favor with us suddenly disipate like a mist once we sinned again?  For centuries the teachings have been that we are all prone to sin and must continually seek our loving Gods forgiveness in order to satisfy him.  I think this couldn't be farther from the truth.  If we believe that God continually requires our forgiveness, wouldn't we then question the work that Jesus did for us on the cross?  In fact, wouldn't it then invalidate his sacrafice?

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Ephesians 2: 8-9 NKJV

We do well to remember that our salvation has NOTHING to do with us and what we can or ever will do.  No, we are all saved by the grace of a loving God.  For it was through God that Christ Jesus was sent to be the sin penalty for all mankind.  If there was any effort required in this loving act, it has already been accomplished by our Lord.
So, does sin then define us?  Are we all just sinners who have been saved by God?

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himslef for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

If you missed the message there you're not alone.  There are alot of christians who never know their true identity, I was one of them.  Yes, we've all sinned, but God has already provided for that penalty.  Jesus paid that debt in full at the cross.  We are no longer sinners, but a new creation in Christ!  THAT is what now defines us.

~Scott~

No comments: