Monday, January 18, 2016

A Legacy

Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted.
Matthew 5:4 NKJV

Marie Gwendolyn Wakefield passed away the night of January 17, 2016.  Besides leaving two sons, she also left behind love and kindness in those whose lives she touched.  I've heard it said by those who knew her, that my mother always spoke very kindly of me, her youngest son.  For this I am very grateful.  After all, I was the one she often comforted in my times of grief, sorrow and fear.  Who was it that comforted my mom in her times of need?  In these times she would often turn to her Lord and savior for that reassurance and comfort in those times when the world seemed to much to bear.  Yes, there were many of those times in her life.  I was there for most of them.

"And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying.  There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.
Revelation 21:4 NKJV

Through the years, my mother would often tell me of the times that, when faced with a overbearing circumstance, how she would often be in prayer to her Lord for comfort and guidance.  The stories of my mother on her knees in front of that old couch in our living room will forever attest to her faith in God.  My mom was the very definition of a prayer warrior!  When she heard of a single mother in church who was struggling, my mom would make the time to intercede for her in prayer.  When one of her friends was going through a tough time, her prayers were with them.  The things that made my mom happy bear witness to her heart.  She LOVED meeting on Wednesdays with her Women of The Word bible study group.  She and her friend Tammy would often stop at a local Taco Bell after their Wednesday group meetings for some "girl talk."  I look back now at how she would laugh when I would bring this up.  My mom loved Sunday morning worship at New Hope Community Church.  For it was here that she developed many of the friendships that she cherished.  It was me who, on any given Sunday, was looking to rush home for the latest football game, while my mom would smile and remind me once again of what was more important.  Yes, the impatience of youth on display.
Many people will remember Marie for how they knew her, as the kind hearted, smiling friend who was always willing to offer prayers for anyone who asked.   I will always remember her as just my mom.  My mom who, despite my best efforts to assert my independence, always loved me and prayed over her sons.  People will ask me, "What was your moms legacy?"  Depending on what ones definition of "Legacy" is, my mother leaves one legacy that anyone who knew us would truly understand.  For those who knew my mom, I am her legacy.  Everything that she was, is in me.  May our Lord keep you safely until we meet again.

~Scott~

No comments: