Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Shell Shocked

Lt. Cmdr. Rick "Jester" Heatherly ~ "He won't get back in the saddle, won't engage!"
Cmndr. Mike "Viper" Metcalf ~ "It's only been a few days"
Lt.Cmndr Rick "Jester" Heatherly ~ "You know he just might not make it back"
Cmndr. Mike "Viper" Metcalf ~ "Keep sending him up!"
~Top Gun~

For those of us who've seen the iconic film Top Gun, this is a pivotal scene.  Tom Cruise's "Maverick" character has just lost his co pilot to a flight accident.  Reeling from the loss, he struggles to come to grips not only with his grief, but his reality as well.  In spite of his turmoil, his commander makes his decision, "Keep sending him up!"  As it turns out, this ultimately gets the young pilots mind back on track.  Following the recent passing of my mother, I recalled this scene for a very important reason.  See, I was that young pilot, lost and confused in my grief.  Despite this, a few of my friends, just like that wise commander, told me to get back to work and a normal routine as soon as possible.  It seems that sitting around  thinking of all that's happened is not a good thing.  Keep sending him up!

Shell Shock:
~Very confused, upset, or exhausted because of something that has happened
~Mentaly confused, upset, or exhausted as a result of excessive stress.

Although I've never been in combat, I believe I've felt the conditions that Websters defines as "Shell Shock."  Normally associated with Battle fatigue, I believe this stress demon can affect anyone who is under extreme duress.  However, as I've found, it is during these times of turmoil that we have a loving advocate for our pain.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus
Philippians 4: 6-7 NKJV

Here in Philippians 4, the apostle Paul assures us of that advocate we have in our Lord Jesus in our times of need.  For Jesus is not like the wise old General George Patton who, upon learning of a soldier in the field hospital with battle fatigue, slapped the lad across the face while shouting, "I won't have cowards in my army!"  No, for rather than shaming one of his children, God gently nudges us along as only he can.  As Paul tells us, we need only "Be anxious for nothing."  Whatever it is we face, grief, stress or the turmoil of life, we can draw upon the strength of our Lord Jesus who lives within each of us.

~Scott~



No comments: