Friday, January 8, 2016

Nothing To Chance

For I know the plans that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.  Then you call upon me and go and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
Jeremiah 29: 11-12 NKJV

I used to believe in chance happenings  way back when.  Back in the day I'd come across someone who was interested in something I was thinking of, or see a certain message or headline and immediately think "This was meant for me to see!"  Those days are pretty much gone now.  These days I understand that in a world where everything we see, do and think is never above the heart of our loving God, there truly is nothing to chance.  Sure, there are those people out there who still cling to the thought process that everything we experience is just some haphazard occurance.  Yes, and I'm sure that the world and everything around us was created by some random wind blowing through the cosmos?  I'm sure more than a few people can see the silliness of this belief.  In Jeremiah 29:11, the prophet Jeremiah gives us a few words to explain that there really are no chance happenings in Gods creation.

Then Jesus answered and said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner."
John 5:19 NKJV

I remember a scene from the film Back To The Future where the hapless teenager Marty, having gone forward in time to erase some past event, stumbles across a future sports almanac which holds the scores of every major sports event in its pages.  Struck by greed, young Marty envisions returning back in time to reap his fortune.  It's not until his friend and travel companion Doc Brown disuades him that he, sort of, nixes the idea.  However, what follows is still a hilarious sequence as Marty tries in vain to retrieve the almanac from the villain tough guy Biff Tannon.  One thing we can learn here, is that young Marty certainly didn't want to bet his future on mere coincidence.  What made for a pretty good movie is also true for us today.  Given the chance, would any one of us jump at the opportunity to see the future?  Would we even want to?  How do we know what it is that God is planning?  Would we dare open that pandoras box?  As for me, I'll let God deal with tommorow thank you.  As the scriptures tell us, tommorw has enough worries of its own.  Knowing my track record, the almanac I'd be seeking would most likely be out of date anyway.

~Scott~

No comments: