Saturday, January 2, 2016

Holy Legacy

For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father."  The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs - heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with him, that we may also be glorified together.
Romans 8: 15-17 NKJV

Not too many of us yet know yet just what our legacy will be.  Many of us have more days to live before it's realized how we will be remembered.  Will we be remembered as a good person, someone people looked up to?  Or will our legacy be of someone who shunned others?  It's funny, when we think of the word "Legacy" we usually associate it with how others see us.  Hundreds of years ago, some people had their family legacies cemented in their very names.  Somewhere back in time, the son of a certain man named John was often refered to as "John's son."  Over time, this young mans family became known as the family Johnson, a legacy was created.  Other family names followed such as Nelson, Jamison and Carlson.  The legacies of these families were forever tied to their ancestors.  No matter what accomplishments their offspring did, they were forever associated with the family name.  Unless, of course, they changed that.

Now I saw a new Heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also, there was no more sea.  Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of the heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.  And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be his people.  God Hiimself will be with them and be their God.  And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there will be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying.  There shall be nno more pain, for the former things have passed away."  Then he who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new."  And he said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful."  And he said to me, "It is done!  I am the alpha and the omega, the Begining and the End.  I will give of the fountain of the water freely to him who thirsts.  He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be my son."
Revelation 21: 1-7 NKJV

In Romans 8, Paul tells us of yet another legacy of ours, perhaps our TRUE legacy.  This legacy cannot be changed by the simple changing of our name.  This legacy does not base how we will be remembered by how those around us see us.  No, this legacy of ours is greater than all of that.  Those of us who have accepted Christ and the wonderful work he did for us share in a new legacy, that of sons and daughters of our living God.  Not only are our  sins now forgiven, but we now share in the same heritage of Jesus!  Revelation 21:7 only confirms this geneology for us.  Notice how the author, John, relates the words of our Lord in this passage.  "I will be his God and he shall be my son."  Throughout scripture, when our holy God or his Son are refered to, it is ALWAYS capitalized!  Therefore, I believe the words HIS and SON in Revelation 21:7 refer to we who are in Christ Jesus.  He will be our God, WE are his sons and daughters!  I'll take that legacy any day!
One of the happiest moments of my week is when I visit my mother for a brief time.  From time to time, when I arrive, she'll smile and proudly say "My Son!."  Yes, this is part  of my legacy.

~Scott~

No comments: