Friday, January 1, 2016

Strength In Numbers

So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 46-47 NKJV

I've made the mistake many times, venturing off on my own path thinking I can do things by myself.  I'm the captain of my own ship and I'll chart that course appropriately.  Of course, it's usually not too long before something happens that brings such lone wolf thinking to a screeching halt.  Recently, this has brought a question to mind, are we really independent people, or are we somehow connected to a greater power?  Of course, spiritually speaking, I know that I myself am connected to my Lord Jesus who dwells within me.

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Galations 2:20 NKJV

I've often refered to Galations 2:20 in reference to the fact that our Lord Jesus dwells within each of us. Of course, not only does Jesus dwell within me, but in all who have received him.  We tend to refer to these believers as "The Church" with Christ at the head.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her.
Ephesians 5::25 NKJV

And if Christ is the head of his church of believers, then WE are the church.  We tend to think of the church as that building that we attend on Sundays to worship our Lord.  Yes, that is mans definition, but our Lord is obviously not confined to a building.

"However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says:  'Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool.  What house will you build for me?  says the LORD, Or what is the place of my rest?  Has my hand not made all these things?'
Acts 7::48 NKJV

In Acts 2 we get a glimpse of just how Christs church grew in its early days.  These people were mmeeting, worshiping and basically living in one accord.  They were not just arriving for church on Sunday morning for an hour or two.  No, these followers of Jesus WERE His church.  I've often wondered if we could  replicate the church of believers we see in Acts 2.  Of course, that would require some major changes in our society.  For now, I'll continue to believe that all who are in Christ Jesus are indeed his church.

And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
1 Corinthians 12:26 NKJV

One church, one community.

~Scott~




No comments: