Friday, January 1, 2016

Lines Of Communication

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18 NKJV

I used to have a shirt with the scripture from 1 Thessalonians 5:17 inscribed on it, along with the words "Pray Hard."  I wore that shirt proudly, more of a symbol of who I was than what I practiced.  Everyone who saw it KNEW that I was someone who prayed to God.  Or did they?  Whether or not others believed my facade or not, it made me feel secure knowing others thought I was a praying man.  Of course, my attitudes have changed over time.  Now, I see prayer not only as a powerful weapon against my enemy, but a way of communication with my Lord and Savior.  What changed?  Well, as anyone who has read my previous pages knows, life has a way of humbling us all.  It is during these times of trial and struggle that we need to talk with the Lord the most, not that always praying to God is important, but we lose focus.  I lost focus.  It became more about a status symbol than talking with God.  I was more worried that others saw me as a praying christian man.

People shall be brought down, Each man shall be humbled, and the eyes of the lofty shall be humbled.
Isaiah 5:15 NKJV

I've often laughed at a description of those who think they don't need God in their lives.  It seems that they're going along fine in their lives, until some unforseen tragedy occurs.  It is during these times that the very first thing many of these so called self reliant people will say is "Help me God!"  Yes, I laugh, but I was one of these people.  Maybe I was different in that I knew who my God was, yet I still thought I could do it on my own.  Funny, God has perfect ways of getting our attention.  I guess I like to think of this as God having a sense of humor, "Ok, you think you can handle all of this?  I'll let you."  Eventually, many of us will humbly come back to Gods throne of grace to once again commune with him.  I can't help but feel that this is Gods desire, to be in fellowship with his children.  Sooner or later we are humbled and return to our Heavenly Father.

For there is one God and one mediator between God and men,the Man Christ Jesus, who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time
1 Timothy 2: 5-6 NKJV

Not only did Jesus give his life as a sin offering for all of mankind, but to open the lines of communication between God and his children.  My sins are gone now, and I now have a direct advocate to my Heavenly Father.  Where in Old Testament days direct access to God was reserved mostly for priests and the prophets, Christ has changed that dynamic forever.  So much so, that our Lord Jesus now resides in all who have accepted him.

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the holy spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.
1 Corinthians 6: 19-20 NKJV

We can also view prayer as a conversation with Christ who is in us.  Ever wanted to talk with one of the greatest men in history?  Well, at this moment we can.  For Jesus is as close to us as our very next breath.

~Scott~

No comments: