Sunday, January 17, 2016

No Good On Our Own

Now all who  believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.  So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And the Lord added to the church daily, those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44-47 NKJV

During my mothers recent illness, I was amazed at that group of friends of mine who uplifted me in my time of need.  Of course, this was exactly what Jesus called  his followers to do, but I guess I wasn't expecting too many people  to come around me.  Why is that?  Have we become so ingrained with the idea that, in order to see our Lords grace, we MUST go it alone?  After all,isn't it said that God helps those who  help themselves?  Yes, self preservation has become a favorite past time of ours hasn't it?  There's nothing really wrong with looking out for ourselves per se, I believe where the issue lies is what we do for those in need.

What good does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?  Can faith save him?  If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?
James 2: 14-16 NKJV

I've  always loved Acts chapter 2 for it's example of the community of the early church.  I often wonder if we as modern christians could replicate such a condition?  Christians praising God and having favor with all people.  Then, as Acts 2:47 tells us, would  the Lord add to our church daily those who were being saved?  One thing we may miss about the ministry of Jesus is how evrywhere he went, he served.  Yes, for Christ was God in human flesh, and through all that he did, he manifested his father who sent him.

"Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me?  The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the father who dwells in me does the works.
John 14:10 NKJV

The woman caught in adultry, the woman at the well and even the Pharisees who persecuted him, to all of these God was manifested through his Son.  Oh, he told everyone who would listen just who he was, but many did not believe him.  Still, it wasn't until his death that many claimed, like the soldier at the foot of his cross, "Truly this was the son of God!"  I bring this up for one very important reason, that our Lord Jesus was indeed God in human form, the very image of God on earth.  We see this in all that Jesus did.  

And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not  forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much more as you see the day approaching.
Hebrews 10: 24-25 NKJV

I mentioned the christian brothers of mine who have uplifted me in my time of need.  To these men I am very grateful, I hate to think where I would be emotionally without the support of these brothers in Christ!  I've often thought of these guys lately, and the first thought that comes to my head is that I can NEVER repay them for their kindness and prayers for my family.  That's my human side, not seeing the big picture.  See, what these brothers of mine have done by coming beside me in my time of need, is exactly what Christ wanted for us.  To Love one another, as he also loved us.  I know that I'm no good on my own, I'm not created to be.  Against this world, none of us can be expected to do it alone.  I pray for my brothers, that one day we will stand together in his glory and hear our Loving God declare, "Well done, good and faithful servant!"


~Scott~

No comments: