Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Jesus Address

"However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says:  Heaven is My throne, and the earth is My footstool.  What house will you build for Me?   Says the Lord, or what is the place of My rest?  Has My hand not made all these things?
Acts 7: 47-48 NKJV

I noticed something peculiar during my mothers recent illness and hospital stay.  Something I'm sure that those that know me saw in me not so long ago.  Taking the opportunity to minister to my mother during her illness, I've asked her on a few occasions "Mom, where is God?"  Now, I knew the answer that I was looking for, but she didn't at the time. Predictably, her normal response to this question was "In heaven."  I'm not surprised, for this is what we've been taught all these years.

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of thhe Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are  not your own?  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.
1 Corinthians 6: 19-20 NKJV

As I've said, I'm not wholly surprised in my moms answer to my question of where God resides.  In part she's right.  Yes, our Lord DOES reside in heaven, with Jesus at his side.  However, one important message from scripture that has traditionaly been overlooked is the fact that our risen Lord Jesus not only has been raised from the dead, but that he today lives on in US.   I can envision the looks of confusion on some peoples faces when they hear this truth  for the very first time.  Trust me, I've been in their shoes.  To me, the very thought that my Lord Jesus could inhabit the body of a sinner like me seemed unaceptable.  How could Gods risen, sinless son tolerate to be in the presence of such debauchery?  I'm not surprised that many people feel this way.  However, there is a freedom from this thinking of bondage to sin.  For we are no longer, as many preachers say, sinners saved by grace.  However, it  is through the loving grace of our Lord that we are NO LONGER sinners at all!

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.  For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."
John 3: 16-17 NKJV

We all remember the famous verse from John 3:16 as one of Gods love and mercy to his creation.  However,  there are people who miss verse 17 when refering to this passage.  For it is in John 3:17 that we discover the reason behind John 3:16.  That sin for which we condemn ourselves daily has been dealt with long ago!  We no longer need to revisit those words of blame against us.  In fact, this is why I shudder when I hear someone expalin that we are nothing but sinners saved by grace.  Indeed, as Christ shed his very blood on the cross, each one of those sins for which we continually condemn ourselves was placed on upon his shoulders!  The slate has been wiped clean!

What shall we say then?  Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?  Certainly Not!  How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
Romans 6: 1-2 NKJV

Rest assured, each time we approach God to seek forgiveness for a sin we think has stained the robes Jesus bought for us, God's first response to our request is "What sin, my child?"  WE are the ones who see that stain, not our loving God.  How can our  Lord forgive us for a debt that has already been paid in full?
I recently had another oppportunity to visit and minister to my mother.  Again, I asked her where God was.  This time she smiled at me and exclaimed "In my heart."  Maybe the truth isn't so hard to find after all.

~Scott~

No comments: