Sunday, January 10, 2016

To The Least Of These

"For I was hungry; and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you took me in; I was naked and you clothed me; I was sick and you visited me; I was in prison and you came to me.  Then the righteous will say to him, saying, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?  When did we see you a stranger and take you in, or naked and clothe you?  And the king will answer and say to them, assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of My brethren, you did it to me."
Matthew 25: 35-40 NKJV

I've noticed there are plenty of people out there who go out of their way to assist and help those who are in need.  From gospel missions to long trips overseas to help build buildings and feed people, the people in this great nation have a proud history of helping those in need.  Or do they?  During my mothers recent illness, one of the questions she would often ask is "I need visitors, I'm lonely."  Now, my mom was a member of a rather large local church for very many years, so one would think that visiting her in her time of need would be a high priority for those who knew her.  Unforturtunately, this hasn't been the case.  Understandably, people get busy with every day life, I know I do.  However, how do we measure if we are indeed that "Good and faithful servant" that our Lord calls us to be?   Is it in our tithes?  In how many hours we spend comforting others?

And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into  the treasury, and He also saw a certain poor widow putting in two mites.  So He said, "Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; for all these out of their abundabce have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livlihood that she had"
Luke 21: 1-4 NKJV

In Matthew 25:35 Jesus pauses to give us a example of what I would like to call true charity.  Yes, building schools in underdeveloped countries is a good thing, but what are we doing here at home?  Does it seem to anybody but me that we seem to spend more time making sure people in other countries are provided for than we do our own neighbors?  Don't get me wrong, coming to the aid of those in need is a good thing for sure.  While we're jetting off to Africa to help some villagers, there may be a hospital, nursing home or shelter where those "Least among us" struggle with lonliness and wondering if  anyone cares.  Their prayers may ask for someone to visit them, who will heed that call from the heart?  Understandably, some people would rather not visit hospitals or nursing homes.  By their very nature, these institutions are home to the sick and VERY least among us.  As I've said, this issue is pretty close to my heart due to my mothers recent illness.  I've never been to Africa to help build a school or a church and I've never given a large "Give till it hurts" tithe either.  However, what I have done is visit my mother and be at her side when she'll ask me "Why doesn't anyone come see me?"  Now, you tell me, which is a greater form of charity?

~Scott~


No comments: