Sunday, January 24, 2016

In His Time

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.  For as the suffering of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ.
2 Corinthians 1: 3-5 NKJV

What do we say to someone who is hurting?  With each one of us being different, not everyone will accept of respond to the same reassurance each time.  There is no textboook on how to approach someone who is grieving.  With the recent loss of my mother, I am well too aware of just how important it is to have people, christian and non christian alike, come beside me and offer sympathy and support.  In fact, some of the most encouraging people in this time for me have been those who have not accepted Jesus as their Lord and savior.  Go figure.  However, I'm also aware in my heart that our Lord can use ANYONE to deliver his message of comfort and peace.  We all remember our friend Balaam and his talking donkey!  In fact, I've had a few similar experiences recently with people delivering that in my heart I knew was from God meant for me.
In 2 Corinthians 1:3 the apostle Paul tells us of the blessings and mercy of our Lord as he comforts us in our times of trouble.  Why?  Of course, God has promised his comfort and peace in our times of trouble, but there's another reason here that Paul points out, and it makes sense.  As God comforts us in our troubles, he also gives us strength and knowledge on how we are to comfort others who are hurting as well.  For who can know the pain of grief someone is going through unless they've experienced it themselves?  Ever wonder how Jesus would know so much about pain and suffering?  He lived it!

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses.  For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.  Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercessions for the saints according to the will of God.  And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose.
Romans 8: 26-28 NKJV

One thing a dear friend of mine has told me as I go through this time, is that I have a advocate in heaven who is interceeding for me.  My mother may be looking upon me now and proudly exclaiming, "That's my son!"  However, it is my Lord Jesus who directly intercedes in my life, not only now but always.  Yes, I believe that my mother can still interact and speak kindly of me, but Jesus himself will intercede on my behalf.  When my mother was sick, I would often feel "prayed out" and drained after all we had been through.  It is here that the prayers of others and the love and grace of my Lord Jesus carried me through.  Jesus interceding for his children.  I've wondered just how long my pain will last.  One thing I do know, is that God will not give me anything I cannot handle.  There is no time limit on our grief.  However, we can be assured that, in his perfect timing, that God will carry us through our valley.

~Scott~

No comments: